Hosted by Andrew Jervis
3FromMe Guest: Marc Brown (Smoke City/KV:5/MAX/Gentlemen of the Road)
Tonights show features a 3FromMe curated by Marc Brown who has been making quality music for years under the names Smoke City and KV:5. He’s back with a new act, called Max, and the self-titled album is out today. Also in this weeks show we check out tracks from this weeks big album releases by Nigel Godrich’s Ultraista project and Flying Lotus. We’ve also got oldies from San Francisco psychedelics Sopwith Camel and Ben Sidran. Also in the playlist, brand new music from: Soul Sugar, Laura Welsh, Jesse Boykins, and Amateur Best. Read on for playlist and Marc Brown interview
1. Soul Sugar – East of the River Nile (download)
2. Sun Ra – The Antique Blacks (Steeplechase)
3. Flying Lotus – Until The Colours Come (Warp)
4. Laura Welsh – Hollow Drum (download)
5. Max – Sweet Child in Blue (Humble)
6. A Thousand Years – Flying High (download)
7. Lorn – Weigh Me Down (Illum Sphere Remix) (Ninjatune)
8. Ultraista – Small Talk (Fourtet mix) (Temporary Residence)
9. S O H N – The Wheel (Plain Sight)
10. The Beauty Room – We Can’t Throw You Away (Far Out)
11. Flying Lotus – Getting There (feat. Niki Randa) (Warp)
12. Jesse Boykins III & MeLo-X – The Perfect Blues ft Jesse Boykins III (Ninja Tune)
13. Rhye – The Fall (Innovative Leisure)
14. Brandt Brauer Frick – Schamane (!K7)
3FromMe Guest: Marc Brown
15. MB – INtraSPektiV (promo)
16. Creator – Such is Life (Seven Leaves)
17. The Sharks – You Made Me Warm (Kentone)
18. Ben Sidran – Steady Eddy (Baybridge)
19. Sopwith Camel – Fazon (WB)
20 .Andrew Ashong and Theo Parrish – Take It Slow (Sound Signature)
21. Jeedo – Make It Boom (download)
22. Onuinu – Always Awkward Mirror Gaze (Bladen County/Bad Cop Bad Cop)
23. Amateur Best – Ready For The Good Life (Double Denim)
24. Beacon – Feeling’s Gone (Fort Romeau’s Shibuya Edit) (Ghosty International)
25. Kiko Navarro – higher (Marlow & Rainer Truby Refix) (Phat Elephant)
26. The Stepkids – Sweet Salvation (Stones Throw)
27. Emily Wells – Let Your Guard Down (Timmy Straw Remix) (Partisan)
28. Leron Thomas – Leaves Rebirth (Sunnyside)
29. Acid Pauli – Equation Of Time (Clown and Sunset)
A few words with Marc Brown:
FNS: Why did you pick these 3 tracks?
MB: Ive picked these tracks because I know I will be listening to them today, tomorrow and when im an old man, I love music that lasts, music that has depth, feeling and warmth. I love roots music and reggae (and jazz) is what i always return to. Intraspektiv is a vibe piece, deep down in the studio.
FNS: With it’s rootsy folk vibe, Max is quite a musical departure from the more soulful sound of Smoke City which put you on the map – how did you end up making this record?
MB: Production wise there are a lot of parallels with Smoke City, the dub factor is in there. My taste is across the board, Maxs vibe was a comfortable connection for me.Max has been a friend since childhood days, I was excited to have that style of music to play with in the studio, I just locked myself away and got involved.
FNS: What other projects are in the works, and how can people follow what you’re up to?
MB: Ive just completed an album, a project called The Shed, titled, Tomorrow. I run a community studio in Camden town and work with alot of talented and inspiring teenagers, this album showcases their songs, myself and Chris frank (Da lata) have assisted in the production of a fantastic album which will be out soon digitally on itunes. Im working and writing on several pieces of music that you can check out on my soundcloud (http://soundcloud.com/mb-productions-1) Also Humble records is being revived so music will be released through that too (http://humble-recs77.tumblr.com/)